Along with a completely redesigned iPad and new M2 iPad Pros, Apple unveiled its next generation Apple TV 4K. New features include more power for apps and games, improved movie fidelity, and preparation for the latest in smart home connectivity.
While it doesn’t appear different from the outside, the new Apple TV4K gets a performance boost, thanks to the addition of Apples’ A15 Bionic chip. This is the same chip found in Apple’s iPhone 14 Pro range, and is 50 percent faster than the previous generation, according to the electronics giant. Apple also says that we can expect: “…greater responsiveness, faster navigation, and snappier UI animations.”
In terms of graphics, the new chip is “…now up to 30 percent faster than the previous generation for even smoother gameplay.”
Richer movie experience
While it already supported Dolby Vision, which is a movie watching standard that displays movies more like they would appear in the cinema, the new Apple TV 4K gains HDR10+ support. This is a similar video standard that production studios also use to convey similar colour and luminance metadata to help your TV understand how best to display a movie.
Apple says that this can be used in addition to the Apple TV 4K’s support for Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital 7.1, or Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound, creating an immersive audio and visual experience for home cinema buffs.
Smart home hub
The new Apple TV 4K is designed to connect to a range of smart home devices such as blinds, smart lights, appliances, pet tech and more. This includes any HomeKit compatible devices, however, it’s also ready to work with the new ‘Matter’ standard. Matter is an independent smart home standard that’s designed to do away with incompatible devices, such as those from Google or Amazon Alexa, so they will all work together.
Pricing and availability
- The new Apple TV 4K with Siri Remote will be available starting at RRP A$219 inc. GST from apple.com/au/store, in the Apple Store app, and at Apple Store locations. Apple TV 4K is also available through Apple Authorised Resellers.
- Customers can order the new Apple TV 4K beginning today, with availability starting Friday, 4 November, in more than 30 countries and regions, including Australia.
- The Siri Remote has the same beloved design and functionality as the previous generation, and adopts USB-C for charging. It is included with the new Apple TV 4K, or can be purchased separately for RRP A$89 inc. GST starting today, and is compatible with all generations of Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD.
- AppleCare+ will be available for Apple TV, providing three years of technical support and additional hardware coverage, including unlimited incidents of accidental damage protection.
- Customers can try out the new Apple TV 4K at an Apple Store and have their questions answered in person. Before their visit, customers are encouraged to check apple.com/au/retail for information on opening hours and available services at their chosen store.
- For a limited time, you could get three months of Apple TV+8 and Apple Arcade on us when you buy a new iPhone, iPad, Apple TV or Mac.
The key improvement for the Apple TV 4K is its faster processor, which gets the powerful A15 Bionic. This means it has the processing power for more intensive games and apps, plus a smoother user experience. The HDR10+ support is a nice to have, but other than that, there’s not a huge difference between the new model and the previous one.
Other Apple Announcements:
Apple launches new iPad Pros with M2 Chip